Ajwain seeds (Hindi name) commonly called “Omum” in Tamil, “Bishop’s weed” in English are small, grayish color seeds with a very strong distinctive smell. The decoction of the seeds got by boiling the seeds in water has wonderful health benefits both for adults and children. We call it omum water| oma water in Tamil and ajwain water in Hindi.
Ajwain Water Health Benefits:
1. Ajwain Water For Cold & Cough:
Ajwain water is great for taking while suffering from cold or cough as it helps get rid of the phlegm. Ajwain water can also be had when suffering from headache.
2. Ajwain Water For Stomachache:
When I was young, whenever I came home from hostel I used to overeat often and get stomachache. To cure it, my mom always used to give me this ajwain water. Usually I will be alright very soon. Ajwain water is a very good home remedy for people suffering from indigestion, stomach pain and gastritis.
3. Ajwain Water For Babies| Toddlers:
This ajwain water| oma water can be safely given to very small babies too. It is also called as “Pottoma Kashayam” in Tamil and it so very famous here in Tamil Nadu as a medicine for treating indigestion in children. I think every home with children should have a bottle of ajwain | omam.
4. Ajwain Water For Pregnant Women:
Ajwain water is also good for treating indigestion, constipation and nausea in pregnant women. But pregnant women should not overdose on ajwain and should only use it as a remedy. Ajwain water is also given after delivery in many communities as a cleanser.
5. Ajwain Water For Weight Loss:
Ajwain seeds water is said to increase the metabolic rate which helps burn body fat. Please be careful when buying ajwain seeds, as the ajwain seeds are smaller in size, it is hard to remove small stones or dirt from it at home, so always buy good quality ajwain.
6. Ajwain Water For Irregular Periods:
Ajwain water is a good home remedy for regulating the periods. We get ajwain water in the markets too, but usually the store bought ones have added sugar (loads of it) to make it taste good. So it is always good if you prepare this oma water at home.
Ajwain doesn’t get spoilt soon so it can be stored for a long time in the pantry.
Omum Water Side Effects:
If consumed as a medicine in moderation it does not have any side effects………
How To Make Omum Water:
1. Take the required amount of ajwain (for adults use around 1 tbsp, for children usually 2 teaspoons will do) in a heavy bottomed roasting pan. Roast ajwain in medium low flame for about 2 minutes until a slight smell comes. Keep stirring often and don’t let it burn.
2. Pour about 1 cup of water (250 ml) and let it boil. Boil till the color of the water changes. The color of the water would have
changed to brown color.
3.Now strain the mixture and your omum water is ready.
4. This omum water is not bitter. If small children still refuse to drink it, add tiny bit of sugar and give them. This kashayam is usually given for flatulence and indigestion.
- Please drink it immediately once it cools
down. If you dine out and if you feel slightly queasy because of the oily food, then too you can make this omum water and have.
- For small children, 1 to 2 tbsp of the prepared kashayam will work well. You can give them once both morning and evening…
- For adults, 2 to 3 tbsp of omum water will work well….