Palm fruit got from Palmyra palm is called” Nungu” in Tamil, “Tari” in Hindi. Palmyra fruit is one of the best natural body coolers available. Every year, during summer, we get Palmyra fruits from the palm trees in our farm. They are really delicious to eat as it is. Nowadays small vendors are selling the Palmyra fruit even in cities and towns.
We usually collect the fruits and store it as it is. When we want to eat it, we just cut the top part and scoop out the jelly like fruit and eat it. Since we are peeling the skin only at the time of eating, it stores well. But in cities, the fruit is taken out of the shell and sold. Palmyra fruit that has the outer covering removed has to be refrigerated, else it will spoil quickly. During hot summer months, many suffer from heat rashes, including babies and children.
The Palmyra fruit is a very good remedy for heat rashes and heat boils, as it is very cooling. We make a poultice out of it, to use it on the rashes and boils. Since the fruit is so cooling, it greatly helps in reducing the heat rash very quickly. The Palmyra fruit is very soothing on the skin and when applied, helps to reduce the itchiness that accompanies heat rash.
To make the poultice, first take a 100 % pure cotton cloth and sterilize it by boiling it in water. Squeeze out the water and let the cloth cool to room temperature. Now take the fruit and peel the outer skin on top. Grind the fruit to a pulp in a mixer and spread it on the cloth. Apply this poultice on the affected area and wait for 15 to 20 minutes before removing the cloth. You can use this Palmyra fruit poultice safely on young babies too.
Palmyra Fruit Poultice:
1. The fruit has a thin outer covering. Cut the fruit in half and scoop out the inner filling. You can also peel off the outer layer without cutting in half.
2. Grind it to a thick paste without adding any water.
3. Sterilize a cotton cloth by boiling it in water. Squeeze out excess water and let it cool.
4. Spread the ground Palmyra fruit on the cloth and use it as a poultice on boils and rashes.
- Palmyra fruit spoils easily, so keep it refrigerated.
- This poultice can be applied twice daily, till the heat rashes disappear.
- Make sure to use 100% cotton cloth.
- Wearing pure cotton cloth and good hydration will prevent heat rashes and boils during summer.