Sukku Coffee also called chukku coffee and sukku kappi is very famous in Tamil Nadu and Kerala and has wonderful health benefits. I love the taste of sukku coffee very much and usually drink it in cold winter evenings. We usually sweeten it with palm jaggery but you can substitute it with regular jaggery too. Though the recipe says coffee, there is not a pinch of caffeine in this. Regular intake of this coffee helps people who are anemic as palm jaggery is rich in iron and it also helps with indigestion too.
What Is Sukku Coffee?
Sukku coffee is herbal coffee made with dry ginger, we call dry ginger sukku in Tamil. We make it in two ways, either with fresh ginger and milk or with dry ginger and coriander seeds. In this recipe, I have used the later, usually for indigestion we use only this recipe.
This coffee is also very easy to prepare. To make it, coriander seeds and dry ginger are pounded together and boiled along with water and palm candy till it reduces in quantity. It is as simple as that. Please don’t use milk in this recipe, it will curdle.
Ginger and coriander seeds in this coffee aids in digestion and palm jaggery helps in treating anemia. Make it a habit of serving ginger coffee along with heavy snacks. It will prevent indigestion and will prevent the bloated feeling in the stomach. Also whenever you have an upset stomach, take a cup of this coffee and you will be better in no time!
Sukku Coffee Health Benefits:
1. For Indigestion:
2. For Anemia:
3. For Cold & Cough:
4. For Nausea:
5. For Menstrual Pain:
How To Make Sukku Coffee At Home?
1. Take the dry ginger and coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle.
2. Pound them coarsely.
3. Break the palm jaggery into small pieces.
4. Take the broken palm jaggery, water and pounded spices into a bowl.
5. Boil everything together till the raw smell of coriander seeds leaves and the water reduces.
6. Strain the mixture and your ginger coffee is ready! If you don’t get palm jaggery you can substitute with regular jaggery too. Don’t pound the spices too finely else the coffee will get too spicy. This coffee is so tasty and we usually have it with puffed rice (kara pori) in the evenings.