Thirikadugam is an ultimate medicine that treats a wide variety of diseases depending on how it is used. Thirikadugam can be used for treating cold related headaches, sinus problems, in fact it also treats indigestion related problems too. I had completely forgotten to mention thirikadugam in the blog.
I find that the main problem many readers of this blog face is not able to find fresh herbs that I mention in the remedy. So I was thinking that I should post more of remedies in which the ingredients can be sourced easily and can be stored for a long time like thirikadugam.
What Is Thirikadugam?
Sukku (dry ginger), milagu (peppercorns) and thippili (long pepper) are called thirikadugam in Tamil. The combination of these three ingredients is so very effective that it is used to treat many diseases and it is popularly called thirikadugam in Tamil.
In India, we have quite few herbal powders that are marketed for cough and removing phlegm, which are quite effective actually. Last week, when I was talking to my sister in law, she mentioned that she makes her own herbal powder now and she said it was exactly like the store bought herbal powder for cough and cold that she had used before.
She also added that it was very very effective for removing the phlegm. When she mentioned the ingredients, I realized that she was mentioning thirikadugam.
How To Make Thirikadugam Powder?
This powder once made can be stored in an airtight box for future use and once you start using this blend, I am sure you will be using it again and again. Even I really love this combination, no wonder our elders have praised thirikadugam so much.
To make the powder, sun dry sukku, milagu, thippili in a plate till crisp and powder it finely in a mixer. To make the decoction, add around half a tsp of the powder for a cup of water.
This was the measurement my sister in law gave me, but if you find it very spicy or if you are giving it to children, decrease the amount of the powder. This herbal decoction also can be taken when you are lethargic, have a severe body ache or general feeling ill or sick.
1. Measure out the peppercorns, long pepper and dry ginger in a plate and sun dry till crisp. The weight of the three ingredients should be approximately same. You don’t have to sun dry for a long time, just 15 to 20 minutes in bright sunlight would too.
2. Powder it as finely as you can in a dry mixer and you don’t have to sieve it.
4. To make the decoction, boil around a cup water along with 1/2 tsps of the herbal powder mix.
5. Boil for a few minutes, switch off and strain. The longer you boil, the spicier it will get and if you boil it for too long, it will taste bitter. If you like to sweeten, I would suggest sweetening it with palm candy. This mixture can be taken daily twice till one gets good relief.
- Sun drying makes it easier to grind the ingredients finely.
- The mixture need not be too fine, a little coarseness is ok.
- Like I mentioned before, the amount of powder to be added depends on the age.
- This powder can be given to young children from the age of 2 to 3 years onwards.
- For young children, less than 1/4 tsp will be more than enough. If children refuse to drink it, you can sweeten with honey too.
- This powder can be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- This powder can be used for all cold related problems.
- This same remedy can be used to treat indigestion.
All this precious traditional knowledge you share is an absolute treasure trove! Thank you for sharing your passion for herbs and natural remedies online.My 22-month old has bouts of a bad phlegmatic cough, but no cold and no fever. I'm jotting down all your cough remedies and will try them out.I've been giving him kashaya – it's a magic potion when one is ill, hastens recovery immensely. Also reduces congestion and cuts phlegm. The ingredients are: about 10-12 tulsi leaves, 1 tbs coriander seeds, 1 inch cut/mashed ginger, 1 pounded dry date, 10-12 raisins, 1/2 tsp jeera, 10 pepper corns, 1/2 inch cinnamon bark – boil it all along with a big glass of water until water reduces in half, add a bit of milk (like you add to tea) and a lump of jaggery and it's ready to drink.
Hi Mangala,Thanks a lot for sharing your home remedy. I am sure many are going to benefit from this remedy….
This worked for my Kid Bad Cough, Thanks
Hi Ramya Your blog is amazing. I was searching for home remedy for my kids cold & feel lucky to visit ur blog. Please let me know if I can give this thirikadugam to my 15 months baby. Both my daughter (6yrs) and my son(15 months) are having "nenju sali". Tried all medicine and it never goes off completely. Thanks.
Hi Mayil, not his thirikadugam is not for 15 month old baby. I would suggest trying krishna tulsi remedy from the blog, it will greatly help…
Hello Wild Turmeric, I am interested in Ancient Wisdom and it would be great if you can give us an interview. I made a interview with a herbal tea person with his idea of 13 spice tea. this is that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5CjMCDAOA I am hoping to bring in more persons to share ancient wisdon
Hi Wild turmeric, can you let me know where I can buy thipilli in chennai
You can buy thippili in Dhabba chetti shop in Mylapore…
Also in villivakkam nattumarundu shops near perumal temple
Hi, for how many days can we continue for a 2 year child.
For a 2 year old, I would suggest using karishna thulasi cough syrup from the blog as thrikadugam can be a bit spicy. You can use krishna tulso cough syrup for 3 days…
My son is 4 1/2. He has cough before going to bed and slight cold (nenju sali). Will this help in his cough?
You can give this mixture, it will greatly help. Also add a tiny piece of licorice root to the mixture while boiling (athimadhuram in Tamil)….
my 8 & 4 yrs biy & girl were prone to cold& digestion problems. shall i give thirikadugam daily in night?
my son & daufhter 8,4 yrs prone to cold , digestion problems. shall i give everyday at night?
Hi mam my son 3years old he suffered by cough for the last three months what to do please tell me i tried all the medicines no use at all
Hello mam, My daughter is suffering from sneezing problem for the last 6 months.she is 4 yrs old. I tried Siddharth but no use.what can I give to get permanent relief from that problem? She also catches cold frequently.please help me.