I was making my own homemade soaps for many years, I really enjoyed designing my own soaps and had great fun making different shapes and sizes with herbs and other ingredients. The only problem with making your own soaps is dealing with lye. Especially if you are making large batches the smell can be too much and it is quite dangerous, if you have small children running around. But since a regular reader of this blog insisted that I post on how to make laundry detergent at home, I was very excited to do it because I had to make Castile soap for the recipe. I still miss making soaps on a regular basis and had great fun making this detergent. Making our own homemade laundry detergent can save us of lot of money and the best, best thing about this detergent is it can be used for people with very sensitive skin too. It is easy to make the regular laundry detergent but the challenge is to make it for people with very sensitive skin. I know many children are allergic to harsh detergents and for them this kind of homemade detergents without any harsh chemicals will be very good. I did not want to make borax based detergent, as it might not agree with everyone. The main ingredients for making this homemade laundry detergent are washing soda, baking soda and Castile soap. All these three ingredients are amazing cleaners that are very gentle on the skin. Each one has their preference when it comes to mixing these ingredients and I prefer the ratio given, as it effectively cleans the clothes. Castile soap is a cold pressed soap made with only olive oil as a base and is very very gentle on the skin. You can easily order it online and it is not very expensive. I made a small batch of Castile soap for making the detergent, nowadays good quality cold pressed soaps are marketed in small fares in India mostly by small business owners and homemakers which are very good, you can try those soaps too. All you have to do is mix all the ingredients along with some good quality citrus essential oils for fragrance and your homemade laundry detergent is ready to be used!
1. Take a block of Castile soap and shred into small pieces or grate it using a grater. After mixing, I felt my Castile soap pieces were quite big, as I used a knife to shred it. It is better if you grate it.
2. Measure out the baking soda and washing soda.
3. Mix the grated soap, washing soda mixture and citrus essential oil and store in an airtight box.
- You can also skip the essential oil, if you don’t want any fragrance. But adding fragrance make the clothes smell nice and choose the essential oils that you prefer.
- You can double or triple the recipe for making huge batches.