What Is Ajwain Water?
Ajwain Water Health Benefits:
1. Ajwain Water For Cold & Cough:
2. Ajwain Water For Stomachache:
3. Ajwain Water For Babies:
4. As An Insecticide:
5. Ajwain Water For Weight Loss:
Ajwain water is now popularly consumed as a weight loss drink. I couldn’t find any studies supporting the claim but thymol extracted from ajwain seeds has been proven to help prevent weight gain, you can read the study that supports this claim here. Please remember that herbs only helps speed up the process. For any meaningful weight loss, a healthy calorie deficit diet and regular exercise is important.
6. Other Health Benefits:
It helps with all metabolic diseases which includes high blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels. If you are suffering from any of the above mentioned diseases, try including ajwain water in your diet regularly in moderation. It also helps reduce inflammation very effectively so people suffering from inflammatory conditions like arthritis will highly benefit including it regularly.
Ajwain Side Effects
Pregnant women should not consume ajwain water. It was tested for abortion in some states in the year 1987 in India. The results were striking! Out of 75 pregnant woman who were tested, 50 experienced abortion and fetotoxicity! It is also used as a male contraceptive, it has been clinically proven to reduce the number of sperms, sperm motility and testis weight. So it is best to avoid ajwain water when planning for pregnancy and also during pregnancy.
Excessive consumption of ajwain water can lead to bloating and stomach irritation. Some people can be allergic to ajwain seeds, ajwain allergy can cause nausea, dizziness and vomiting. It also interacts with certain drugs, if you are on any medication and planning to consume ajwain water regularly please mention it to your physician without fail.
How To Make Ajwain Water:
1. Take the required amount of ajwain (for adults use around 1 teaspoon and for children, usually 1/2 teaspoon will do) in a heavy bottomed roasting pan. Roast in medium low flame for about 2 minutes until the seeds start popping and a wonderful aroma wafts. Keep stirring often and don’t let it burn.
2. Pour about 1 cup of water (250 ml) and let it boil and boil till the color of the water changes.
3. After a few minutes, the color of the water would have changed to brown color. Now strain the mixture and your ajwain water is ready!
4. This omum water is not bitter. If small children still refuse to drink it, add tiny bit of honey and give them for treating all stomach and respiratory related problems.
- Please drink it immediately once it cools down but if you can’t, you can store the left overs in a glass bottle and consume it the next day too.
- For small children, don’t go above the mentioned dosage. A cup a day will work well till they feel better.