Alum powder (fitkari | phitkari) can be used for treating canker sores easily at home. Alum is an amazing home remedy for treating canker sores and since we get alum powder easily and very cheaply, we can use it for treating canker sores. But before using alum for canker sores, get to know it’s benefits and side effects and also the correct methods for using it.
What Are Canker Sores?
Canker sores are mouth ulcers that are white or yellow in color surrounded by a red area. Canker sores are very painful and make eating especially spicy foods next to impossible. Anyone can get canker sores from young to old and it can last from few day to few weeks depending on the size of the canker sore.
Why We Get Canker Sores?
The exact reason we get canker sores is not known but it can be due to a variety of reasons ranging from low immunity, stress, eating certain foods and even braces can trigger canker sores.
Does Alum Treat Canker Sores?
Alum is a good home remedy for canker sores. The reason alum works so well for canker sores is because of it’s astringent properties which helps close the wound faster. It also has anti bacterial properties thus reducing bacterial growth and it also reduces the inflammation which makes it effective for treating canker sores.
Which Alum To Use Canker Sores?
When I say alum, I mean potash alum, the same alum that men have been using for their shave for centuries. Surprisingly alum also have other uses and I always have a block of it at home. You can read about alum in detail here. Potash alum is commonly called Alum | Picking Alum in English, Fitkari in Hindi, Phitkari in Urdu, Padikaram in Tamil, Patika in Telugu, Phatakadi in Gujarati, Phatikara | Patika in Kannada, Sphatikari in Sanskrit, Patki in Sindhi, Phatakiri in Bengali, Phatakadi in Malayalam, Tawas in Philippines and Turti in Marathi.
How To Use Alum For Canker Sores?
- Usually for canker sores, a small piece of alum is powdered and then a pinch of that alum powder is pressed over the canker sore. It stings for a while but usually by the next day, the person is relieved of canker sores. You can use alum in three ways to get rid of canker sores. You can take a little bit of the powder and press it over the canker sore.
- The second method is by rubbing a piece of alum block in a stone (we use sandalwood stone which is used for rubbing sandalwood to get sandalwood paste) and then using the paste on the canker sore. The third is by using a mouth rinse made out of salt and alum powder.
- Alum causes intense burning sensation when we use it on the canker sore so many don’t like to use alum powder as such and young children will find it hard to bear the burning sensation caused due to alum powder. For them, I would suggest alum mouth rinse and you can easily make it at home. Alum mouth rinse is a good way to use alum to get rid of mouth sores.
Alum Mouth Rinse That Treats Canker Sores:
To make the rinse, powder alum in a mortar and pestle. Boil water in a pan along with little salt, once the salt has dissolved remove from the heat and stir in the alum powder. Once the alum has dissolved, strain and use it as a mouth rinse at least 2 to 3 times a day. Salt is also very effective in treating canker sores and this mouth rinse can be safely used by both young and old. If you are using the alum powder straight on the mouth sore, make sure not to swallow it while applying over the canker sore and use only a tiny bit…..
3 TOP WAYS TO USE ALUM POWDER FOR CANKER SORES (MOUTH SORES):
1. ALUM BLOCK FOR CANKER SORES:
Take a small piece of alum block and rub it in a sandalwood stone along with little water till you get a thick paste. Apply over the canker sore, wait for a minute before spitting it out. Don’t swallow the alum paste.
2. ALUM POWDER FOR CANKER SORE:
Take little bit of alum powder and press it over the canker sore. Use only a tiny pinch and don’t swallow alum. Wait for a minute and then spit it out.
3. ALUM MOUTH RINSE FOR CANKER SORE:
Boil a cup of water along with 1/2 tsp crystal salt. Once the salt has dissolved, switch off the flame. Stir in 1/4 tsp alum powder. Once the alum powder has dissolved, strain. Let it come to lukewarm temperature before using it as a mouth rinse 2 to 3 times a day.
- Use crystal salt not powdered salt for the alum mouth rinse.
- If you can bear the sting try the first or second method of applying alum powder directly on the canker sore as it is more effective.
- Alum is toxic if consumed internally in large amounts so try not to swallow alum.
- When using the rinse, swish around your mouth and make sure that the area where the canker sore is rinsed.
Where can I get this alum
Alum can be easily got in medical stores or even online..
Handy treatments like baking soda and dilute alum solution do help with relieving pain from canker sores