The word “Arappu” always brings a smile to my face. Because even now, if my elders find out that I am having hair wash with shampoo, I get a good scolding. Arappu is a powder made from the leaves of arappu tree. It’s botanical name is Albizia amara. Arappu acts as a natural conditioner. After having a nice hot oil massage, having hair wash with arappu powder is the most relaxing thing I can think off. I think you should experience it, to fully appreciate having hair wash with arappu. We get arappu powder even in cities now. Some people mix it with shikkakai powder to get good lather. But if you make arappu powder with tender leaves, you don’t need shikkakai powder at all. It’s sad to see, using arappu is slowly diminishing. I agree that it takes some time to massage the oil and have hair wash with araapu, but it’s totally worth it. Arappu cools the body and it’s chemical free. I read an article few weeks back, saying how you should use a clarifying shampoo to remove the build up in the scalp due to regular shampoo and conditioner use. It really made me laugh. I think we should follow our traditions, whenever time permits to keep ourselves healthy. Arappu powder keeps well, for more than a year.
1. Take the tender leaves of the arappu tree and spread it over a paper or a plate and sundry it till crisp.
2. Once the leaves are crisp, powder it finely in a mixer. We usually sun dry large amounts and grind and store it for the whole years use.
3. To have hair wash, mix the arappu powder with enough water to get a thick paste.
- The leaves should be sun dried till crisp.
- If using store bought one, you can add a tsp of shikkakai powder along with arappu powder.