Barley water also called Barli Ginjalu in Telugu, Jau Water in Hindi and Barley Thanni in Tamil has amazing health benefits. I remember my maternal grandfather drinking it every day, it was ritual he followed without fail. I remember asking him why he drank it, to which he smiled and replied that it kept him healthy. Now my grand father is no more, but writing this post brings back fond memories of him.
It has amazing health benefits and can be easily prepared at home. It can be used for treating I am still amazed at how simple home remedies can save us from lot of pain if had correctly and barley water is one such example especially for treating urinary tract infection.
Barley Water Health Benefits:
1. For UTI:
2. For Diabetic Patients:
3. For Weight Loss:
4. For Skin Care:
5. For Immunity:
6. Improves Digestion:
Barley Water Side Effects:
Unstrained barley water is rich in fiber and when you consume too much fiber at once, it can lead to bloating and stomach discomfort. Start with 1/2 cup and work your way up over time. Barley is gluten-containing grain so people suffering from celiac disease should avoid it.
How To Make Barley Water At Home?
1. Wash barley 2 to 3 times and soak it in water for 1 to 2 hours, this helps barley cook faster.
2. Strain again, add water, and let it boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add a piece of fresh ginger to it during the last 5 minutes. Don’t pound the ginger, adding ginger like this gives a mild ginger flavor which gives a nice taste to barley water. It also aids in digestion.
4. Once the barley is cooked, add few drops of lemon juice to it. You can either strain out the barley or leave it in, I would suggest leaving the barley in if you are a diabetic patient or while including it in a weight loss diet plan.
- This tastes best when it is fresh, but it can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Make sure to boil till barley is cooked well.
- As far as I know, this is one of the best home remedies for urinary tract infections.
- After adding lemon juice, if you prefer you can sweeten lightly with good-quality honey.
- Boil it on low flame else it will spill over.
- Don’t add too much lemon juice, it won’t taste nice.
- If you are straining barley, use it in stews and salads or make a simple stir fry with it by frying onions, green chillies, garlic, steamed veggies, barley in little oil. Finally add salt, lots of coriander leaves, and a few drops of lemon juice to it.