Nothing relaxes a person more than a home, that smells great. Even before writing this post, I just lit my favorite incense stick, which has become like a ritual for me. Nowadays we lead very stressful lives, which I feel is the main reason for all our illness. Simple rituals like these keep us relaxed and peaceful. I always try any recipe that make my home smell good. When I came across a recipe for homemade air freshener gel, I was really tempted to try it and I tried it this week end. With the first batch, when I added the essential oil, the temperature of the liquid was too high (the recipe instructed me to add the essential oil immediately after I melted the gelatin) and the smell was not strong. For the second batch, I let the liquid cool down a bit and then added the perfume and the second batch turned out perfect. Making our own home made things is not very difficult, all we need is a little bit of patience and interest. This homemade air freshener gel can be placed anywhere in the home and I left it in my bed side table and they smell great. They also make great gifts. If you pour it into beautiful glass jars, they really will rival any store bought expensive air fresheners that are made of chemicals and artificial perfume. To make the homemade freshener gel, first let the gelatin sponge by sprinkling it over distilled water. Wait for 10 minutes, then melt it over double boiler or directly over low heat till the gelatin is completely melted. Remove from fire and add the salt and liquid food color and mix well. Let it cool down a bit and then add your favorite perfume or essential oils. Try to match the color of the gel with the perfume, like yellow for citrus, pink for rose etc and then pour into your favorite glass jars and let it set overnight and your delightful homemade air freshener gel is ready!
1. Get all the ingredients ready. Measure out the gelatin and water.
2. Sprinkle gelatin over the water and let it sponge for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Heat the mixture over low fire till gelatin is completely dissolved.
4. Add the required food color and salt, mix well. Switch off.
5. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes, then add your perfume.
6. Pour into cute glass bottles and let it set overnight.
- You can use any strong perfume, for making this homemade air freshener gel.
- Make sure not to add the perfume when the liquid is too hot.
- If you live in a hot country, during afternoons, the gel might turn watery but it will set again.
- The gel will remain fresh depending on the strength of the perfume.