This homemade inhaler made with black peppercorns is very effective in treating heavy head | headache (thalai vali in Tamil). The list of diseases that we use black pepper as a home remedy is quite long. Black pepper inhalation also helps people who wants to quit their smoking habit. A study was conducted with 48 volunteers who were deprived of their smoking overnight. They were divided into three groups, first group puffed on a device that gave out vapors from essential oil of peppers. The second group used vapors of mint and the third used a device that had an empty cartridge. The result proved that the first group that used black pepper essential oil had very much reduced craving for cigarettes than the other two groups. The black pepper inhalation also effectively treats headache and helps to relieve nasal congestion. We use the black pepper corns instead of black pepper essential oil to treat headache and to relieve chest congestion. To use, first take the longest needle that you can find and insert the tip of the needle into the black pepper corn. Inserting the needle may be a bit difficult but if you use a stone to pound the needle into the pepper, it will be easy. I had to insert the needle into almost 25 pepper corns before I could take the main picture, as the pepper burned out before I could get a decent photograph. First I kept the needle on the peppercorn and held it firmly between my fingers and then used a stone to insert it into the pepper corn. If you pound it too much the peppercorn will break into two. Then light the pepper corn in direct flame and switch off immediately. It will start emitting smoke, your effective homemade inhaler is ready! However, people who are allergic to smoke should avoid this remedy. I really got good relief from my head ache using this homemade inhaler. Since we are using only one peppercorn at a time, the smell is not irritating too. You can also add the peppercorns directly on open flame and inhale the smoke, but make sure you don’t add too much at a time (I strongly recommend this method). There is also a good alternative if you don’t want to use the inhaler- make a paste of black pepper with little water and apply as a thin coat on the forehead. This poultice also gives good relief for headache. Try both methods and choose the one that suits your body.
1. Take a long needle and insert the tip of the needle into the peppercorn by pounding the needle with a stone.
2. Light the peppercorn on direct flame, it will catch fire immediately.
3. Switch off the flame immediately and it will start emitting smoke, use it as an inhaler. You can also add it directly over hot charcoal, if you don’t want to insert the peppercorns in a needle (which I strongly recommend, as inserting in the needle is a big effort, especially when you have a headache).
4. If you don’t want to use the inhaler, take a tsp of black pepper corns and grind it to a smooth paste along with little boiled water, apply a thin coat over the forehead and let it dry before washing it off. This poultice also gives good relief from headache and this black pepper poultice is also very famous in my place. When you are washing it off, make sure the water does not enter your eyes.
- Don’t inhale the smoke by keeping it too near the nostrils, the smoke will cause irritation.
- This remedy is for headache due to cold or sinus not for migraine.
- Try this remedy, when the headache starts itself for fast relief.
- This homemade inhaler is not for children.
- You can use 3 to 4 peppers continuously, after one burns out.
- If you are going to insert a new peppercorn after the existing one peppercorn burns out, wait for some time as the needle will be too hot.
- If you are allergic to smoke, please don’t use the inhaler and use only the poultice.
- For the poultice, use the peppercorns, not the already ground pepper powder.