Palm jaggery has amazing health benefits and medicinal uses. I love palm jaggery and always stock it at home. I have a great fondness for coconut and palm trees as we depend on them for our livelihood. We always have palm trees in our farm and I have grown up eating their fruits in summer.
In fact, thinking back of the wonderful days where my sister and I used to sit in the backyard eating palm fruits clumsily always brings a smile to my face. In my humble opinion, we should cherish our traditional practices and eating palm jaggery is one of them.
Palm Jaggery Common Names:
Palm Jaggery Nutritional Value:
How is Palm Jaggery Made?
If you get to know how palm jaggery is made, you will be amazed how simple and close to nature it is. To make palm jaggery, first an earthen pot is coated with slaked lime and then the sap is collected from the palm tree by cutting the tender most part and hanging the earthen pot to collect the sap fully.
Slaked lime is coated to prevent the sap from fermenting. The collected juice can also be drunk and is very very nutritious. Here in our place, we make a small boat shape with the palm leaves and use that to drink the sap fresh from the tree.
The collected sap is then filtered and then boiled in huge vats till it thickens and then it is poured into moulds to set. Once set, it is removed from the moulds and packaged for selling.
Health Benefits Of Palm Jaggery:
1. For Anemia:
2. For Good Digestion:
3. Palm Jaggery For Energy:
Palm jaggery is a wonderful energy booster for both adults and children alike. It is rich in vitamins and minerals like vitamin B, iron, calcium, etc and keeps us energized.
Encourage children to consume natural sugars like palm jaggery instead of white sugar which is devoid of any nutrients from a young age itself. It can also be given to infants and babies.
4. For Immunity:
5. Palm Jaggery Benefits For Breastfeeding & Pregnant Women:
Here in our place it is a custom to take sweets and fruits for pregnant women. We usually make the sweets at home with either jaggery or palm jaggery. Pregnant and lactating women should try to avoid white sugar completely.
Instead replace with nutrient rich natural sugars like palm jaggery. Even women who are suffering from PCOS will benefit by replacing white sugar with palm jaggery.
6. Has a Low Glycemic Index:
7. For Common Ailments:
Palm jaggery Side Effects:
Where Do You Get Palm Jaggery?
Palm jaggery can be bought from most departmental stores now and you can also order it online. The price varies between 150 to 300 per kg. Palm jaggery is expensive.
But I feel it is so worth the effort considering the harm that white sugar does to our body. Also palm jaggery is usually made by local village people and by buying palm jaggery we are supporting them.
The Difference Between Palm Jaggery & Palm Candy?
How To Make Karupatti Tea:
2. Crush them coarsely in a mortar and pestle.
3. Crush palm jaggery and boil with a cup of water. Once dissolved strain to remove any impurities and bring to boil again. Now add the crushed ingredients and boil for a few seconds more and switch off.
5. Strain and your wonderful natural karupatti tea that is free of caffeine is ready.
- This karupetti tea is usually served during cold months in the evening.
- This karupetti tea is a good remedy for indigestion.
- The amount of palm jaggery to be added is individual preference, add it according to the sweetness you prefer.
- Since it does not have any caffeine, it can be given to young children too….
- Palm jaggery has a unique sweet taste and it takes some getting used to but I love it as I am used to it from young….:)