It is always fun and relaxing to do facial treatments. It is even greater fun, when it is done during the marriage ceremonies with all our cousins and friends. We all want to look our best during these important functions and most of us seek beauty parlors for a relaxing massage or a facial. But many of us have demanding schedules, that leave us barely any time to prepare for important functions, let alone a facial. This homemade walnut scrub is a quick answer to people who want to look their best in the shortest amount of time. I like this scrub because it is made with just two ingredients, can be used for all skin types, is very gentle on the skin and most importantly it is very quick and easy to make. This scrub is made with walnuts and fresh yogurt. Last week, when my son was home from hostel for his holidays, we took a trip to Kodaikanal. I got these organic walnuts from the health shop there, as I bake a lot. Ground walnuts nourishes the skin and it helps to exfoliate the dead cells without irritating the skin. When you make your own homemade products, you know what goes into it and it is a lot cheaper than what we buy in the shops. Applying yogurt on the face can lighten dark spots, heal sun tanned skin and reduce freckles. I always prefer to make my own yogurt but if you prefer to buy it from the shop, buy one that does not have any colorings or flavorings. To make this walnut scrub, tie the fresh yogurt in a muslin cloth/ cheese cloth to drain all the water. I used my jaggery strainer to strain the yogurt, as it is made up of two layers of cloth. Pound the walnuts in a mortar and pestle till you get a coarse powder. Add the drained yogurt to the crushed walnuts and mix well together. Make sure the yogurt is drained of all water else the scrub will be very watery. The amount of walnuts should be more than the yogurt or you will not feel effect of the scrub on your face. To use, massage it gently in a circular motion all over your face and wash off with lukewarm water.
1. Tie the fresh yogurt in a muslin cloth or use a double layered strainer to drain all the water.
2. Pound the walnuts in a mortar and pestle till you get a coarse powder.
3. Add the yogurt and mix everything together.
4. Massage it gently on the face in circular motion for few minutes and wash off.
- Try to use this scrub both morning and night for best results.
- Your face might feel greasy, especially if you are using full fat yogurt, wash your face later with a mild face wash.
- Keep the left over scrub refrigerated.